Imagine you’re a small business owner who wants to create a website to promote your new product line. You’ve done your research and know a website is essential to reach your target audience and drive sales.
However, the thought of selecting a website template feels overwhelming. This is where this comprehensive guide comes in. You’ll discover the essential factors to consider when choosing the perfect website template for your business.
- The first step in selecting a website template is to define the purpose of your website. Whether your website is an online catalog, an e-commerce store, or a personal blog, your template’s selection must align with your site’s purpose.
For instance, an e-commerce store requires a template that allows for easy product browsing, image galleries, and a shopping cart. On the other hand, a blog template may prioritize additional design features, like showcasing blog posts and a commenting system.
If you already have an established brand or are developing one-in-progress, it’s important to select a template that visually aligns with your brand. Your website template may offer several design options, including color schemes, typography, and layout.
For instance, a template featuring soft colors with a clean layout is suitable for a spa website. Alternatively, a template with bold colors and an active design may appeal to a sports team.
- Another factor to consider when selecting a website template is the user experience. Your website visitors should have a seamless experience when browsing your website. The design of the template should offer easy navigation, clear communication of the website’s purpose, and responsive design.
For example, a template that has a confusing layout or limited navigation options may frustrate visitors, leading to less time spent on your website and a decreased possibility of a conversion.
- In today’s world, many people browse the internet on their mobile devices. Thus, it is essential to choose a mobile-friendly template. A mobile-friendly template ensures that your website is easily accessible, loads quickly, and the visitor doesn’t need to adjust their screens to see the web page’s content.
Google Search also ranks mobile-friendly websites higher than non-mobile-friendly websites, so having a mobile-friendly template will ensure that your website is visible to more visitors.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a vital part of any website. A well-optimized website template will ensure that your website has a higher chance of ranking higher in a Google search engine.
Your website template should include simple features such as meta titles, meta descriptions, and alt tags. Additionally, make sure to look for templates that have built-in SEO optimization features such as schema markup, easy XML sitemap generation, and easy integration of Google Analytics.
Plugins and Apps
- Your website template should easily allow the inclusion of plugins and apps required to implement your site’s desired functions. For instance, if you want to add a newsletter signup, a template that supports easy integration with MailChimp is essential.
Another essential app is social media integration. A template that’s designed to integrate seamlessly with social media platforms would be valuable for businesses looking to increase their social presence.
Support and Updates
- Lastly, a website template that provides support and frequent updates should be on your priority list. As website technology changes at a rapid pace, website templates must stay up to date.
Not updating your website template could result in security vulnerabilities or dwindling website performance. A website template provider that offers certified support and regular updates provides a sense of security that your website will be equipped with the latest and most secure technology.
Selecting a website template that works for your business takes time and consideration. Selecting a template that accurately represents your brand to your target audience, offers a seamless user experience, and drives conversions are key.
Additionally, when selecting a template, remember to consider factors such as SEO, mobile-friendliness, and support and updates. A good website template is not only beautiful, it is also functional, user-friendly, and up-to-date with technical best practices.